Friday, June 15, 2007

16 years

Today is Thornton and my 16th anniversary. What's funny is about a month ago, we had a discussion because neither of us could remember how many years we'd been married. He thought it was 17, but I was pretty sure it was 16. I was right...LOL (as always!).

Thornton and I met at Blackburn College in Carlinville, IL. My freshmen year at school, he was sitting out a year (he'd ummm....been "asked" to leave by the administration for poor grades...LOL). Even though he wasn't enrolled in school, he came down to the campus from his home an hour away and sang w/ the choir. He went on the choir tour that Spring, too. I remember thinking, "hmmm....this is guy is a bit pompous", because he would come down and act like he owned the place during choir rehearsals.

Despite the fact that I didn't have a good impression of him, I was oddly excited when I realized that he was going to be returning to school the next year. We both sang in the choir and in Madrigals and got to know each other during my sophomore year (his "second" sophomore year!). By the end of 1st semester, I knew that he was someone I really liked. After Christmas break, I arranged for a friend to invite both him and I to her birthday party. She did...and after the party, we spent the night cuddling in his dorm's parlor. We started officially dating on January 25, 1988 and have been together ever since.

Being with Thornton has really allowed me to grow as a person. I used to be very shy and unsure of myself. He was what I referred to as "the golden boy" in college. Everyone knew and loved Thornton. I decided that I could either spend my life in his shadow, or I could become an interesting, outgoing person in my own right.

I love you, honey!

No comments: