Friday, January 23, 2009

In the light now

A few weeks before Christmas I started to notice that I was not as happy as I thought I should be. I have suffered from depression for year (lots o' years!), but I've been really well controlled on medication. I know that I am still grieving my mother-in-law's passing, but it just seemed like more. So, my father-in-law (a psychiatrist) wanted me to try a new medicine that is on the market and shown really good results. I agreed, because I've had times in the past where my meds just stopped working or I've become immune to them. Here's the problem....I thought I was supposed to go off my other meds completely and start the new one. Wrong! I was supposed to continue taking one of them, and add in the new med. So, for weeks I was on just the new med and it wasn't working. And, this was right before Christmas! I honestly thought that I'd never experience depression like that again. While I was able to continue w/ my life, I just didn't have any joy and I was a really mean mom and wife.

Finally, my father-in-law, concerned w/ my moods asked me exactly what I was taking and discovered my error. It took probably another two weeks to get my mood back to "normal", but I'm finally there...and it feels good!

On a more positive note, Patrick attended a baseball college showcase in St. Louis and we found out that even as a sophomore, he is being noticed by college scouts. He was asked to join an elite showcase team for 3 tournaments this fall. We couldn't be more proud...and he's a great kid!

No comments: