Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Back to "normal"

Thornton's parents returned home from their 6 weeks in Florida on Sunday. We have been keeping their German Shepherd and cat while they were gone. We did settle into a nice routine w/ Woofie (their dog) and Millie (our puppy), but it wasn't always easy. Woofie is, well...he's a big dog. He was always in the way. We live in a split level house and his favorite sleeping spot was right inside the front door or at the top of the steps. Neither place was especially convenient because he was always in the way. But, God bless him, he put up w/ Millie like a champ, so I really have little to complain about. Millie was constantly in his face or nipping at his heels. Now that Woofie is back home, my in-laws report that he is depressed and misses his little friend. Awww....

We signed Alison up for a 2 week camp this summer. She'll be going to Kanakuk, a Christian sports camp in the Ozarks near Branson, MO. She'll love it. She so needs things to do and she often gets a bit lost in the shuffle w/ Patrick's baseball and Rach's dance. The camp is at the beginning of the summer, so that should start her summer off great!

My parents were down this weekend for a short visit and to see Rachel in her Junior High musical. My parents look so old lately. Granted, the *are* old (80 and 78), but wow, lately...it just seems to be that they age so much every time I see them. My parents are, and always have been, very critical people. Poor Patrick has his driving learner's permit and is really proud and excited to drive. But, my dad had to cut him down and tell him that he didn't stop properly at a stop sign. It wasn't constructive criticism, it was mean-spirited "I know best" criticism. I explained to Patrick that that's just how Grandpa is, but I could tell it hurt him.

I have been trying to eat healthier and lose weight since September. Since then, I have lost 65 pounds. The big joke has been that my parents haven't noticed yet! When I was heavier, you better believe that Mom would ask me every time she saw me if I'd lost any weight, but now that I have....nothing! At church on Sunday, someone came up to me to tell me how great I was looking. My mom was standing right there, and she finally said, "have you lost some weight?" All I said was, "yeah"....and she didn't persue the conversation any more. Too much!

I always tell Thornton that he's darn lucky that I'm half as normal as I am after growing up w/ my parents!

No comments: