Thursday, April 24, 2008

The terrible 8's?

Alison has been a real pill lately. She is just so disagreeable. She will get something set in her head and if what she wants isn't realized, she'll throw a fit. It really is hard to be around her sometimes. Yesterday, Patrick had a double header and I was going to go to that with Rachel. I had to leave his game 1/2 way through to take Rach to dance. I gave Ali the option of coming w/ me (although we wouldn't be home 'til 9 or so), going to church w/ Thornton, which is usually what she does and enjoys, or going to Grandma's house for the evening. She said that she wanted to go to the game, but wanted to take Millie, our puppy, with her. Well, that just wasn't going to work, because we'd be gone so long, and Millie is a puppy. Alison just couldn't understand that and threw a fit. I explained to her that I had tried very hard to give her 3 good options for the evening and it was very frustrating to me to have her upset when I was trying to make her happy. She finally decided to choose to go to Grandma's house.

After about an hour, I got a call from Grandma saying that Alison was being unreasonable and asking what she should do. Apparently, Grandma was wanting to take Ali to dinner, since she didn't have food to eat in the house and Alison didn't want to go. And, yes, of course, she threw a fit. I had Grandma take her to Thornton at church. Ugh! It's so frustrating.

When I picked Ali up at church I tried talking to her about how I understood that sometimes she gets shuffled around due to Patrick's baseball and Rachel's dance schedules, but that we really did try hard to have good things for her to do. I told her that it is never appropriate for her to be so disagreeable to adults, especially her grandparents. I have no idea if I got through to her...I'm guessing not.

I wish I knew the answer for what would work w/ this kid.

No comments: