Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Mean Girls

Rachel got into the van after dance on Monday and said, "Mommy, you know how you said that if I ever need to talk to you about anything, that I can?" She then told me that she thought two girls in her dance class were making fun of her. They were giggling and looking at Rach and then came over to her and told her about this "girl" that they didn't like that had big, ugly glasses, wore a necklace, always had a sparkly hair tie in her hair and played on the jungle gym. Well...all of these things are true of Rachel (except of course, her glasses are cool!). Rachel had *just* been talking to them about how she still loves to climb on the jungle gym at recess sometimes. Rachel was really upset, because these girls have been her friends, since they've been dancing together for years. I told Rachel that she should've said, "I think you're talking about me, and if that's true, that makes me sad, because I thought we were friends. And if you're talking about someone else, I really don't want to talk about it, because it's not nice". Of course, I know that's easy for me to say...but not so easy for a 10 year old girl to say.

I'm pretty sure I know the root of this incidence. Another girl in Rachel's dance class told Rachel a week ago or so that one of the girls involved in the teasing thought Rachel was really pretty, was a great dancer and loved her glasses. I explained to Rachel that some kids think the best way to make themselves feel better is to put other kids down. It's been my crusade since the girls were babies that they not involve themselves in this kind of behavior. I remember how hurtful it is.

Of course, as a mother, I wanna punch those mean little girls...but I guess I'll let my daughter handle it herself. She's much more civilized than her mother!

No comments: